How healthy are lemons?
According to Care Diana Herrington’s article on http://www.care2.com/greenliving/16-health-benefits-of-lemons.html there are 16 Great Health Benefits of Lemons!
16 Health Benefits of Lemons:
1. Lemons are alkalizing for the body: Lemons are acidic to begin with but they are alkaline-forming on body fluids helping to restore balance to the body’s pH.
2. Lemons are rich in vitamin C and flavonoids that work against infections like the flu and colds.
3. Your liver loves lemons: “The lemon is a wonderful stimulant to the liver and is a dissolvent of uric acid and other poisons, liquefies the bile,” says Jethro Kloss in his book Back to Eden. Fresh lemon juice added to a large glass of water in the morning is a great liver detoxifier.
4. Cleans your bowels: Lemons increase peristalsis in the bowels, helping to create a bowel movement thus eliminating waste and helping with regularity. Add the juice of one lemon to warm water and drink first thing in the morning.
5. Scurvy is treated by giving one to two ounces of lemon juice diluted with water every two to four hours. In 1747, a naval surgeon named James Lind cured scurvy with fresh lemons. To this day, the British Navy requires ships to carry enough lemons so that every sailor could have one ounce of juice a day. In the past, lemons were replaced with limes; this is where the English got their nickname “limeys.” Watch this video: “Scurvy Pirates and the Lemon of Love”
6. The citric acid in lemon juice helps to dissolve gallstones, calcium deposits, and kidney stones.
7. Vitamin C in lemons helps to neutralize free radicals linked to aging and most types of disease.
8. The lemon peel contains the potent phytonutrient tangeretin, which has been proven to be effective for brain disorders like Parkinson’s disease.
9. In India, Ayurveda medicine values the lemon as a fruit and for its properties. It is sour, warm, promoter of gastric fire, light, good for vision, pungent and astringent.
10. It destroys intestinal worms.
11. When there is insufficient oxygen and difficulty in breathing (such as when mountain climbing) lemons are very helpful. The first man to reach the top of Mt. Everest, Edmund Hillary, said that his success on Mt. Everest was greatly due to lemons.
12. Lemons have powerful antibacterial properties; experiments have found the juice of lemons destroy the bacteria of malaria, cholera, diphtheria, typhoid and other deadly diseases.
13. Blood vessels are strengthened by the vitamin P (bioflavinoids) in lemon thus prevents internal hemorrhage. Also, making it useful in treating high blood pressure.
14. The symptoms of eye disorders, including diabetic retinopathy have been shown in research to improve due to the rutin, found in lemons.
15. Lemons contain 22 anti-cancer compounds, including naturally occurring limonene; oil which slows or halts the growth of cancer tumors in animals and flavonol glycosides which stop cell division in cancer cells.
16. According to The Reams Biological Ionization Theory (RBTI), the lemon is the ONLY food in the world that is anionic (an ion with a negative charge). All other foods are cationic (the ion has a positive charge.) This makes it extremely useful to health as it is the interaction between anions and cations that ultimately provides all cell energy.
How long to Lemons Last?
Fresh Lemons last for 2-4 Weeks 1-2 Months
Cut Lemons last for Same Day 2-3 Days
Lemon Juice (re-sealable bottle) last for – 4-6 Months
Fresh Squeezed Lemonade lasts for Same Day 1 Week
Processed Lemonade (Unopened) lasts for – 2 Weeks
Processed Lemonade (Opened) lasts for – 1 Week
I usually keep mine in the fridge for about a month. I eat about a ½ of a lemon a day in one way or another. I may squeeze it in my morning shake or make dressing out of it. The lemon Olive Oil Dressing is my absolute favorite on spinach salads! How do you make the Lemon Dressing? Super simple! All you need to do is add olive oil, Parmesan cheese & a half of a freshly squeezed lemon. Perfect, Fresh and Easy! It’s absolutely delicious!
Personally, I started incorporating a ½ of lemon or more a day about 3 weeks ago. I cannot tell you how much my life has changed for the better. Yes! Lemons!! I had stomach issues starting again about a month ago. The lemons helped with my stomach issues. Love me some fabulous Lemons!!