April is Animal Abuse Awareness Month. Orange is the awareness color!
It honestly puzzles me every day how someone can hurt an innocent animal. First, I wanted to share some sad facts with you:
FACTS & STATISTICS
• Each year 10,000 bull dogs die in bullfighting.
• Neglect and abandonment are the most common forms of companion animal abuse in the United States.
• Continuous chaining is illegal in some parts of the country.
• Pit bull dogs are the most common victims of animal cruelty.
• 71% of domestic violence victims report that their abuser also targeted their animal.
And Sadly enough abuse doesn’t usually stop at the animals:
• 71% of pet-owning women entering women’s shelters reported that their batterer had injured, maimed, killed or threatened family pets for revenge or to psychologically control victims; 32% reported their children had hurt or killed animals.
• 68% of battered women reported violence towards their animals. 87% of these incidents occurred in the presence of the women, and 75% in the presence of the children, to psychologically control and coerce them.
• 13% of intentional animal abuse cases involve domestic violence.
• Between 25% and 40% of battered women are unable to escape abusive situations because they worry about what will happen to their pets or livestock should they leave.
• Pets may suffer unexplained injuries, health problems, permanent disabilities at the hands of abusers, or disappear from home.
• Abusers kill, harm, or threaten children’s pets to coerce them into sexual abuse or to force them to remain silent about abuse. Disturbed children kill or harm animals to emulate their parents’ conduct, to prevent the abuser from killing the pet, or to take out their aggressions on another victim.
• In one study, 70% of animal abusers also had records for other crimes. Domestic violence victims whose animals were abused saw the animal cruelty as one more violent episode in a long history of indiscriminate violence aimed at them and their vulnerability.
Let’s stop animal abuse, share our furry fan love & share our loved ones! Please feel free to share your pictures on our page as well.