Who doesn’t love that creamy delicious chicken soup? I love mine thicker instead of thinner. It’s perfect on a cold day here in Chicago. Here is my special recipe for the amazing soup! Try it for Valentine’s Day too! Something warm and delicious to fill your heart and loved one’s tummy.
What you will need:
2 organic chicken breasts
2 whole organic lemons
½ cup of fresh lemon juice
½ cup of heavy cream
½ cup of olive oil
½ cup of rice
½ cup of orzo pasta
2 ½ tablespoons of all purpose flour
2 cups of chicken broth
½ teaspoon of salt
Freshly Ground pepper (to taste)
Optional: Bread bowls
- Grab your skillet, heat olive oil. Cut the one lemon in half. Squeeze fresh lemon in the pan with olive oil. Throw in your two chicken breasts. Cook on low in the lemon juice, fresh lemon and olive oil until fully cooked. Let cool.
- Boil and cook the rice and pasta (separately) and put aside.
- Grab your pot to cook the soup in. Gradually stir in flour, with the cream. It will become thicker as you cook it. Add the chicken broth. Squeeze the other half of your first lemon into the mixture.
- After chicken breasts have cooled, grab a fork. Pull apart the chicken into pieces with the fork. Then, throw your chicken into the soup pot. Let this form a paste, or roux.
- Add rice and orzo pasta to the soup pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, along with squeezing the additional lemon into the mixture (to taste as well).
- Cook on low heat for 30 minutes total, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bread bowls (or in regular bowls)
I also love to garnish with lemon slices (I looove lemons) and add more as I am eating it. It’s the most delicious and thick cream of chicken you will ever eat. Enjoy and stay warm with this homemade tasty cream of chicken soup.